Having trouble painting your leather shoes? No worries. Check out our list of the best paints to use on leather shoes, so you can get started on your next project!
Leather shoes are very popular these days and are also a really good investment as they can last for years. You can keep them looking nice by applying a leather dressing. If your shoes have scuffed or lost the original color, then you can re-color them with leather paint. This blog will look at the best paint to use on leather shoes and the best way to apply it.
- Main Benefits Angelus Leather shoes Paint
- Main Benefits Leather Paint for Sneakers & Leather Accessories
- Main Benefits Acrylic Leather Paint Kit for Shoes
- Main Benefits Angelus 100% Waterproof Leather Shoes Paint
- Main Benefits U.S. Art Supply 36 Color Leather & Shoe Paint Set
- Buying Guide
- Best Paint for Leather
- Varieties of Paint for Leather
- How to Paint Leather?
- How to Prepare Your Leather?
- How to Seal Acrylic Paint on Leather?
- How to Use Leather Acrylic Paint?
- How to Paint Leather Shoes?
- Video Guide: Painting on Leather Shoes
- Frequently Asked Questions
Smalltongue 14 Colors Acrylic Leather Paint Kit for Shoes
GRIFFIN Leather Dye and Leather Repair for Shoes
U.S. Art Supply 36 Color Deluxe Acrylic Airbrush and Leather & Shoe Paint Set
1. Angelus Leather shoes Paint
- Brand: Angelus
- Paint Type: Acrylic
- Color: Multicolor Set 4oz
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Size: 4 Fl Oz (Pack of 12)
- Item Volume: 4 Fluid Ounces
- Specific Uses For Product: Athletic jackets, boots, purses, and shoes
- Made in the: USA
“It is very easy to use, good quality leather paint. You can use it on other leather goods and it comes in all sorts of colors that can be mixed together to make new ones. It comes in layers so that it does not crack. Ensure that it is sealed once it has dried completely. Overall, this leather paint is of good quality. Other leather goods can be treated with it as well. All kinds of colors are available.”
Main Benefits Angelus Leather shoes Paint
- The flexible paint
- Bright and colorful
- Designed to last
- An all-around performer
- It is non-toxic
- Twelve different colors of leather paint
- Packaging needs to be improved.
2. Creative Nation Leather Paint 12-Pack for Sneakers & Leather Accessories
- Brand: Creative Nation
- Compatible Material: Leather
- Finish Type: Semi-Gloss
- Specific Uses For Product: Use on jackets, hats, wallets, and belts
- Package Weight: 1.32 pounds
- Is Waterproof: True
“I was thrilled with how well it worked. Easy to apply. Easy to clean up. Two months later, the paint is still holding fast to the shoes.
You can use a little water to make the paints more pliable, but they are thick, so you may need to use a little to make them more smooth. I would definitely recommend that you buy this product.”
Main Benefits Leather Paint for Sneakers & Leather Accessories
- Sneaker paint kit with 12 colors
- Strong and safe
- The application process is simple.
- Cleaning is easy.
- A flexible and waterproof material.
- With a leather cleaner, it can be removed.
- Quite thick.
3. Smalltongue 14 Colors Acrylic Leather Paint Kit for Shoes
- Brand: Smalltongue
- Finish Type: High-Gloss
- Color: Multiple
- Specific Uses For Product: For shoes, sneakers, couches, and bags
- Package Weight: 1.43 pounds
“I bought this acrylic leather paint kit to repair worn areas on my leather jackets and boots. Amazingly, it works! The finish gives my shoes a brand new look after a shoe shine.
My favorite colors are brown and black. The other colors were used creatively by my daughter to paint her sneakers. Her work initially looked like a mess until she finished and I could tell it was a custom piece of art! My satisfaction with the paint’s professional finish was high.
My next project is to use it on the leather of my car and on the leather of my couch. It’s also helped me save hundreds of dollars in professional repairs on my leather designer bags.”
Main Benefits Acrylic Leather Paint Kit for Shoes
- 14 Vibrant Colors
- Wide Application
- Acrylic Finisher
- Easily blend
- Dry quickly
- Safe and non-toxic for humans and the environment
- The yellow color is a bit thin when applying it to black.
4. Angelus 100% Waterproof Leather Shoes Paint
- Brand: Angelus
- Finish Type: Semi-Gloss
- Color: Basic
- Specific Uses For Product: Ideal for shoes, wallets, belts, sofas, Bags, and more!
- Package Weight: 12 ounces
“It was so much fun to design and work on this pair of shoes. It helped to give them new life with Angelus Leather Acrylic Paints. After watching the instructional video and reading the reviews, I decided to start.
No changes have been made to the colors shown on the product. Red, white, and blue were the only colors I used for this project. I use white mostly to cover up my mishaps.
Acetone can be helpful in removing them, but it can be a bit cumbersome at first.Degreaser (acetone) will remove drawings or sketches if done before.”
Main Benefits Angelus 100% Waterproof Leather Shoes Paint
- Repairs and refinishes scratches
- It is flexible and won’t crack or peel.
- An eye-catching color
- Designed and built in America
- Deglazer and leather preparer weren’t properly sealed.
5. U.S. Art Supply 36 Color Deluxe Acrylic Airbrush and Leather & Shoe Paint Set
- Brand: U.S. Art Supply
- Finish Type: Metallic
- Color: 36-Color Deluxe Set
- Specific Uses For Product: Suitable for paper, canvas, wood, fabric, leather shoes, plastic, metals, ceramic, and many more.
- Package Weight: 4.29 pounds
“I am absolutely in love with this set of paints. The set I received was in perfect condition, so I’m not sure why negative comments have been made. Besides mixing cups and stirring sticks, they even gave a color mixing wheel.
Choosing this set was a great decision for me. There are great quality paints in these dropper bottles, as well as great quality dropper bottles. The airbrush worked well without diluting it.
Due to my airbrush going out, I have not been able to use more. However, I am confident that they will work. With this set, you won’t be disappointed.”
Main Benefits U.S. Art Supply 36 Color Leather & Shoe Paint Set
- Made with high-quality materials
- A set of 50 wooden mix sticks
- The colors are non-toxic.
- A set of 50 plastic mixing cups
- Wheel for mixing colors
- It’s a bit pricey.
When it comes to choosing the best paint for leather shoes, there are a few things to consider.
1. Type of leather
The first is the type of leather. Paint adheres best to smooth leather, so if your shoes are made of suede or nubuck, you may want to skip this project.
The second is the color. If you want a truly matte finish, go for white or light-colored paint. Dark colors will have a bit of a sheen to them.
The third is the finish. You can either go for a glossy finish or a matte finish. Glossy paint will make your shoes look shiny and new, while matte paint will give them a more natural look.
Fourth, consider the durability of the paint. If you want your shoes to last, choose a paint that is made specifically for leather. With these factors in mind, you should be able to find the best paint for your leather shoes.
Fifth, you’ll want to choose a paint specifically designed for leather use. These paints are usually water-based and have a built-in conditioner, which will help to keep the leather soft and supple.
Also, be sure to choose a paint color that closely matches the color of the shoes. This will help to create a uniform look. Finally, always test the paint on a small area of the shoe before painting the entire surface. This will help to ensure that you are happy with the results.
Best Paint for Leather
There are a few different types of paint that can be used on leather, but the best type of paint to use is acrylic paint.
Acrylic paint is a type of paint that is made with a polymer emulsion. This type of paint is perfect for leather because it is very flexible and it will not crack or peel over time.
Leather is a natural and durable material, so you want to ensure that the paint you use will withstand a lot of wear and tear.
Varieties of Paint for Leather
Leather is a popular material for many different types of products, from furniture to clothing. When it comes to painting leather, a few different types of paint can be used.
The most common type of paint for leather is acrylic paint. Acrylic paint is a synthetic paint that dries quickly and is available in a wide range of colors.
Another type of paint that can be used on leather is enamel paint. Enamel paint is a type of paint that is made with a base of oil or resin. It dries slowly and is available in a limited range of colors.
How to Paint Leather?
To paint leather, you will need to purchase a leather paint kit, which can be found at most craft stores. The kit will come with a basecoat, a topcoat, and a variety of color options. You will also need a paintbrush, a piece of sandpaper, and a piece of leather to practice on.
How to Prepare Your Leather?
There are a few things you can do to prepare your leather.
- To begin with, you can clean it with a soft cloth and mild soap. This will remove any dirt or debris that may be on the surface.
- After that, you can condition the leather with a quality conditioner. This will help to keep the leather soft and supple.
- In addition, you can protect the leather with a waterproofing spray. This will help to keep the leather from becoming damaged by water or other elements.
How to Seal Acrylic Paint on Leather?
How to Use Leather Acrylic Paint?
Leather acrylic paint is a versatile product that can be used for a variety of projects. It can be used to add a pop of color to any leather item or even to paint an entire piece of furniture. Here are a few tips on how to use leather acrylic paint:
- Start by cleaning the leather surface with a damp cloth. This will help the paint to adhere better.
- Apply a base coat of paint, using either a brush or a sponge. If you are using a brush, make sure to use long, even strokes.
- Once the base coat is dry, add a second coat of paint if desired. Again, use either a brush or a sponge for the best results.
- Allow the paint to dry completely before using the leather item.
How to Paint Leather Shoes?
If you’re looking for a way to add a pop of color to your outfit or simply want to change the color of your shoes, painting leather shoes is a great option. Here’s how to do it:
Total Time: 30 minutes
1. Start by cleaning your shoes with a leather cleaner or saddle soap. This will help the paint adhere to the shoes.
2. Once the shoes are clean, apply a base coat of paint. This can be either a light or dark color, depending on what you want your shoes’ final color.
3. Once the base coat is dry, apply the color paint of your choice. For best results, use a paintbrush and paint in thin layers.
4. Allow the paint to dry completely, then apply a clear sealer to the shoes. This will help protect the paint and keep it from chipping or fading.
Estimated Cost: 25 USD
- Leather cleaner
- Saddle soap
Video Guide: Painting on Leather Shoes
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Leather Paint Better Than Acrylic Paint?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as it depends on personal preferences and what you are looking to achieve with your painting project.
Some people find that leather paint provides a more natural look and feel, while others prefer the versatility and easy cleanup of acrylic paint. Ultimately, the best paint for your project will be the one that gives you the results you are looking for.
Do Acrylic Paints Wash Off Leather?
Acrylic paints are water-based paints, so they are relatively easy to clean up. However, they can still cause some staining on leather, especially if the paint is allowed to dry before it is removed.
The best way to avoid this is to clean up any spills immediately before the paint has a chance to set. If some staining does occur, you may be able to remove it with a leather cleaner or by gently rubbing the area with a damp cloth.
How can I Prevent Paint From Cracking on Leather Shoes?
There are several ways to prevent paint from cracking on leather shoes. One way is to apply a sealant to the leather before painting. This will create a barrier between the paint and the leather and will help to prevent the paint from cracking.
Another way to prevent paint from cracking is to apply several thin layers of paint rather than one thick layer. This will allow the paint to dry slowly and evenly and will help to prevent cracking.
Finally, allowing the paint to dry completely before wearing the shoes is important, as this will help prevent the paint from cracking.
What kind of paint can be used on leather?
There are a variety of paints that can be used on leather, depending on the desired effect. You can use a leather stain or dye for a more natural look.
You can use acrylic paint if you want a more colorful or vibrant look. You can also use a leather sealer to protect the paint and extend its lifespan.
Are acrylic paints good for leather?
There is no definitive answer to this question since it depends on the specific type of leather and the desired effect. However, acrylic paints can generally be a good option for leather.
They tend to be more flexible than other types of paint, so they won’t crack or peel as easily. They also have good adhesion properties, so they can grip the leather surface well. And finally, they provide good coverage and can create a smooth, even finish.
Do fabric paints work on natural/fake leather?
There is a lot of debate on whether or not fabric paints work on natural or fake leather. Some say that the paint will not adhere to the leather and will eventually peel off, while others claim that it depends on the type of paint and how it is applied.
If you are considering using fabric paint on leather, it is best to test a small area first to see if the paint will adhere and if it is the right color.
How to make fake leather shiny?
If you want to make your fake leather shiny, there are a few things you can do. First, you can try using a leather conditioner. This will help to nourish the leather and make it more supple.
You can also try using a polish or wax. This will help to create a barrier against dirt and moisture. Finally, you can try using a furniture cleaner. This will help to remove any build-up that may be causing the leather to look dull.
You must log in to post a comment.